Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Book #6: Hunger Games

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins

I didn't plan to read The Hunger Games. Science fiction and YA literature are two of my least favorite genres, and this book is classified as both. Besides, I wasn't sure that I wanted to get involved in another series, another sensation, so soon after finishing the Twilight mania. Then my friend Johnna gave the book five stars on Goodreads, and based on that recommendation, I reserved it from the library.

I got it home and spent the next two days immersed in the society of Panem, rooting for Katniss and Peeta and their struggle against great odds to win The Hunger Games. I love strong female protagonists, unlikely heroes, complicated love stories and underdogs, and this book had all of them. Now I'm counting down the days until September when the second book is released. What can I say? I'm a follower-- and a sucker for a good story.

5 comments:

Valarie said...

I just got the hold notice for this from the library today. We're reading it for bookclub next week. I have no idea what it's about (I didn't realize it was either sci-fi or YA). Based on the title I'm already nervous about what I'm going to serve for refreshments.

Shelah said...

The book talks a LOT about food. Peeta's parents own a bakery and when Katniss and Peter move to the capital in preparation for the games, the kids gorge themselves. Hot chocolate would be a great idea for starters...

Valarie said...

hot chocolate and baked goods? I think I can manage that. thanks!

Valarie said...

hmmm. maybe I'll skip refreshments entirely. It doesn't leave you much of an appetite.

emlouisa said...

Yay! Okay. I bought this book based on the recommendations of everyone and then started freaking out thinking I shouldn't have gotten it because it might be "lame" like Twilight. I don't like YA stuff either.

I told dh that I would check your site first so I could be prepared for suckitude if you didn't like it.


I'm glad you like it. I can start it with an open mind now. lol