Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Book #11: I See You Everwhere

Title: I See You Everywhere
Author: Julia Glass

I loved Julia Glass's The Three Junes, and liked The Whole World Over enough to pick up I See You Everywhere because of Glass's name on the cover. I'm not sure that I'll read another of her books just on the basis of her name any more. The Three Junes was so good. I See You Everywhere didn't capture my attention the same way. It's the story of Louisa and Clem, two sisters separated by four years of age and personalities on opposite ends of the spectrum. Louisa wants domesticity and stability and love, while Clem needs adventure to feel fulfilled. They fight and love and lose each other over the course of the book. The characters (especially Louisa) are well-developed, but not much happens in the novel other than self-reflection. Louis reminds me of people in my own life to such a degree that reading her thoughts felt voyeuristic and made me vaguely uncomfortable. It was still worth reading, but didn't meet my expectations based on Glass's previous excellent novels.

No comments: