Thursday, January 1, 2009

Starting off the year with a RACE REPORT!

The short story: 3:18 time, 2nd woman, 10th place overall in the Texas Marathon in Kingwood, Texas.

The long story isn't too long. The race was pretty much the same as last year. It's still four out-and-back laps on the concrete paths in Kingwood, a Houston suburb. I ran the first lap by myself, the second with the girl who went on to win it. She's 25, from SLC, and super-fast. Then I turned on the Ira Glass and listened to This American Life while I did the last two laps. I went out too fast (as is often the case with me). My first half was 1:35. The second half was 1:43. I think I came in a minute or two behind the winning girl. Three of the top ten (that I know of) were LDS, so it was sort of a Mormon sweep down here in Texas, lol. Anyway, no pics because I drove up and back by myself and was trying to keep things light.

Even if we were staying in Texas, I don't think I'd run this race again. Because it's four out-and-back laps, it's really crowded, even though there are only 400 runners. There are lots of twists and turns, and the path is really narrow (just a sidewalk). Many of the racers who do this one are walkers. So I was constantly passing people. That gets really tiring after a while and makes it harder than other two marathons I've run, where you sort of end up settling in with a similarly-paced group after the first couple of miles. It also gets really boring to run the same thing all morning.

Anyway, it was a good race. I didn't get a PR and I didn't win it, but I'm still satisfied with my performance.

8 comments:

lyn said...

Great job!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

go you. me? I'd rather sleep :)

Sara said...

Wow Shelah - I am so impressed! I wish I had seen this post before I stopped by your house this morning so I could congratulate you in person. Good job!

sheri said...

Impressive!!

Afton said...

Shelah!!! Hurray! I'm so excited for you! Sorry I didn't call, I didn't know if you'd just want to veg all day after. I was thinking about you the whole day and as I ran my little 8 miles I was thinking how you were running more than 3xs that--and it was muggy out too.

I'm so impressed with your time since you said St. George is a fast run, this could sort of be your best run in a way. I think it's awesome you were so close to winning it for women too! I want to hear more details.

Afton said...

Oh, and I'm glad you posted this since they STILL don't have results up.

Anonymous said...

great job. I bet it was so crowded, ugh!! I don't think I'd like that.

Lexy said...

Hey there! Well, I was hoping to officially meet you at the marathon, but you were sooo speedy and out of there before I finished! :)
I don't know if you have talked to Roxanne Barton? She is my husband's cousin in your ward I believe...
Anyway, great race!