Friday, November 7, 2008

So many restaurants, so little time....

Now that we only have six months left in Houston, it seems important to try to experience as much of the city as possible. A few months ago, I sat down with Citysearch and tried to figure out which restaurants we should visit at least once before we leave for Salt Lake City, and frankly, the experience was depressing. There were just so many good places to eat-- it would be impossible to hit them all.

We had a babysitter tonight and picked one of the places off our list (Benjy's in Rice Village, for the fellow Houstonians). It was hip and had a great menu. The food was fantastic, the chocolate cake even better. I'd go back tomorrow night if I had the chance. But the problem with actually finding a place I love on the endless to-visit list of Houston restaurants is that now I feel compelled to go someplace new when we actually go to the trouble of getting a babysitter instead of revisiting a place we already know we like.

I guess that in a city of nearly six million people, I just need to resign myself to the fact that even if I ate out three meals a day every day between now and next June, I'd barely scratch the surface in places to eat, or even in good places to eat, in Houston. I'll leave and still feel like I never really dug down deep and sucked the marrow out (Eddie had osso bucco for dinner, so we were talking about Billy Collins and sucking marrow at dinner). I love the endless possibilities of Houston, but I think I'll ultimately be more comfortable in Salt Lake, a smaller city in which it might be possible to feel a little bit of mastery. I want to live in a place that I feel like I know like the back of my hand, and where mapquest no longer serves as my best friend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bil lives in Houston and he is always telling us that there are more restaurants in Houston than people. Maybe that's true!

I for one am glad you are moving to SLC. I wanna see you!

anna said...

Benjy's is really good and decorated so well. We ate their very early in our Houston life. Good luck hitting up more restaurants.

and sorry I talked too much at book club :) Lyn told me that is why you guys left early. Just kidding.

Sarah said...

Don't worry - it's actually a good problem to have, especially when you remember those of us stuck in here in Rochester. :-)

Queen of the Castle said...

We really like the Instanbul Grille. It's in Rice Village. Have you been there yet? It's Trukish food. Yum.
We didn't get to do much exploring of restaraunts in Houston, because our budget wasn't that big. Hopefully someday we'll get to it here.

Shelly said...

You should try Coco's Crepes at 218 Gray---Very kid friendly so you don't need a babysitter, but also has nice little intimate places to sit indoors and out if you want to get a babysitter.