Thursday, November 20, 2008

just a moment of perfect bliss....

Bryce had a doctor's appointment today and on the way back to school, I took him through the Sonic drive-thru for lunch. When I got home I cleaned out the cups and wrappers from the back of the car and set them down on the kitchen counter, and right at at that moment that Eddie and Isaac walked through the door. Isaac was not happy that he missed out on a trip to Sonic. Normally, I'd tell him that we'd go to Sonic another day, but today Eddie was home and could stay with Maren, so I told him to put his shoes back on. He was quiet as we hopped in the car, probably because I think he was shocked, and nervous that if he said anything I'd change my mind. Within minutes he had a cardboard sleeve of popcorn chicken in one hand and a rootbeer float in the other. As we drove back home, I kept stealing glances at him in the rearview mirror. He was so happy-- chomping his food and slurping his drink and looking up to shoot me chicken-filled grins. When you have a big family, it seems like there are so many times when indulging an individual child's whims just aren't possible, so I'm glad that today, when it was, I was able to indulge Isaac's craving for fats and fried food. Oh, and some tater tots for me. And bragging rights as the "first favorite" parent.
1. quick doctor appointments
2. having Eddie around
3. a great afternoon for a run

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how fun!! You are such a cool mom!

TJ said...

it's 8:30 in the morning and that rootbeer float of isaacs sure sounds good. lucky kid.:)

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Love that. It does get hard to remember to do things like that with each of them when you have a bunch.

Company EIGHT said...

I just loved this post Shelah--I actually cried, but I'm not really sure why, lol! I love that you made that quick decision to get back in the car and take him to Sonic. So simple, but HUGE to him.