Friday, October 31, 2008

Photographic evidence

Last week my mom, my godmother and I attended a lecture at Central Market given by Jack Bishop, editor of America's Test Kitchens and Cooks Illustrated. The lecture was great, and we went home with signed copies of their new cookbook, but I must admit that I was kind of wary. I've always been more of a Rachael Ray in the kitchen than a bow-tied Christopher Kimball, and the few times I watched the show on PBS I always felt so overwhelmed by all of the rules I'd have to follow to make a recipe perfect. I'm much better at tossing in a little of this and a little of that and praying it isn't disgusting.
But I brought the book home and decided to try it out. And look at these cookies. The two in the bottom corner are made using the Nestle Toll House recipe. They probably taste good, but, let's face it, they're ugly. They spread all over the pan. The consistency is fine when they're hot, but they'll be crispy instead of chewy in an hour. But the other 13 cookies on the pan are made according to the new recipe in the America's Test Kitchen's brand-new Family Baking Book. The main difference is that they're made with melted butter. They're beautifully puffy. And I just ate four of them. Maybe all of that relentless practicing they do over at ATC does make perfect....

10 comments:

Valarie said...

did you know you can be a tester for them? I saw a link on a blog last spring and signed up. some of the recipes have been less than fabulous (portabella and taleggio pizza), but some have made it into regular rotation (the pourable crust from said pizza). I wasn't in on those chocolate chip cookies, but the mint brownie recipe I tested was pretty yummy.

Valarie said...

link for those interested-

http://americastestkitchen.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3UAyeIsfnPhsnoo&SVID=Prod

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look fabulous! I bet they taste good too.

Company EIGHT said...

I need that recipe! I am on the hunt for a cookie that turns out like that, and I have been unable to thus far. They look delicious!!

Shelah said...

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/201955

sheri said...

Yes! Killer cookies AND melted butter?! That eliminates my frustration of waiting for the butter to soften. Thank you!

smart mama said...

mmmm- I so want those now!

lyn said...

I'm making those today. they look delicious.

Courtney said...

I love America's Test Kitchen. I'm glad you went to the trouble of making two different recipes so we could see the results side by side!

Sarah said...

Did they say anything about using Crisco along with butter? My mom and her mom and her mom always did that. That was their solution to avoid the spreading cookie. But, I'd much rather use all butter than shortening. Gross.