Friday, October 24, 2008

Every member an activist?

Like many of you, I've spent way too much time on Facebook over the last few months. A few days ago, I was messing with my profile and added an Obama button to my page. Within minutes, one of my ward members had sent me a message, nicely asking me to justify my support. I did, and I think the whole interaction was pretty amicable, but it left me with butterflies in my stomach.

Several weeks ago, I ordered an Obama t-shirt. Every day I check my mailbox, half hoping, half dreading to find it there. I'm not sure that I actually have the guts to wear it. It's not that I'm wishy-washy in my support or want to hide it, I'm just not sure I want it plastered across my chest, either. For many years I wasn't all that interested in politics, and then I was uncomfortable about finding myself on the other side of the political spectrum from the other mommies in my playgroup. I'm still reticent to talk about politics. I don't know if I'm just trying to be polite or if I'm avoiding contention or if I'm nervous about not knowing all the details of all of the issues (I'll admit that some of the real issue-based political posts lose me at about the 20th comment). Regardless, I realize that I still have a long way to go before I'm walking door-to-door or organizing rallies.

I have a couple of good friends who live near LA. Both of them have said that they lie awake at night worrying about making phone calls or going door-to-door in support of Prop 8. I know I'm a coward, but I have never, ever been happier not to live in California. It doesn't matter where I fall on the side of the issues, the idea of going door to door or making calls would turn me into a massive ball of nerves.

1. Trunk or Treats

2. Three generations racing together

3. Someone else to wash my dishes

4 comments:

sheri said...

Being in CA, I can attest to the stress and agony we're all going through. And the nerves? Totally justified. You'd be surprised at some of the things said/done to my member friends waving signs on the street corners. For a group that screams "tolerance!" it's pretty disgusting and hypocritical. I'm pretty sure nasty, threatening notes and significant damage to personal property doesn't fall under "tolerance". Sadly, the Prop 8 issue in CA has turned into "If you support Prop 8, you hate gay people". Yeah.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I live in a free country and can vote how I choose. But I'm also doubly glad I don't live in CA. I think I'd have an ulcer by now with all the worry and stress of proposition 8!

Jamie said...

Always good to hear from other Mormon Barack supporters! I too am very reticent to talk about politics with people I know from church. I think it's mostly that I don't want to offend anyone.

Melissa said...

I'm supporting right there with ya! No fun being the minority and being yelled at huh....