Sunday, August 10, 2008

Book #58: The Last Lecture


Title: The Last Lecture
Author: Randy Pausch

The tearjerker of 2008. Randy Pausch, a 48 year-old father of three young children, was dying of cancer when he gave a lecture about his life at Carnegie Mellon University, where he taught Computer Science.

I've written a lot in the past about how much I hate books by Mitch Albom, so much so that I have a prejudice against any small-format hardcover book. When I found out that The Last Lecture was not only a book written by a dying man but also a small-format hardcover, I decided not to read it. Then Randy Pausch died and I watched the tearjerking Dateline about his life a couple of weeks ago and set aside my prejudices. It was a really good book. It made me cry, think about how I live my life, and made me want to hug my kids a little bit tighter. Yeah, it was a little bit corny, but it's still worth reading.

No comments: