Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Book #41: Interpreter of Maladies


Title: Interpreter of Maladies
Author: Jhumpa Lahiri

Jhumpa Lahiri's first series of short stories about Indians in America (and, in one instance, Americans in India).

That's right-- I've read two books of short stories in the last few weeks, and I'm not even sick of them yet! Once again, I found myself totally drawn in by Lahiri's characters. I read the first half of the book (four unrelated short stories) during a very, very long stay at the Firestone shop. Despite the two old guys talking about gas prices and a rerun of Nashville Star blaring on CMT, I found it easy to focus on the stories. If you love contemporary American literature and you haven't read Intepreter of Maladies yet, just read it. I don't know why I waited so long.

1 comment:

smart mama said...

see short stories aren't so bad after all