Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Book #39: The Goose Girl


Title: The Goose Girl
Author: Shannon Hale

En route to meet and marry a prince in a neighboring kingdom, Princess Ani finds life in danger after her lady-in-waiting assumes her identity. Ani adapts by hiding out as a common "Goose Girl" and learns lessons that will prove invaluable once she resumes her rightful position.

I'm not usually a great fan of YA literature, but I loved The Goose Girl. It's interesting, because the first time I ever heard of Shannon Hale was when someone else was telling me how much they hated Austenland, so I didn't have very high hopes for her YA literature. I was very pleasantly surprised. The Goose Girl is just the kind of book I want Annie to read in five years. It doesn't, in any way, talk down to its audience. For once, I felt that a YA book satisfied my craving for both a well-crafted story and beautiful language.

4 comments:

Blue said...

i just finished my own Shannon Hale reading marathon. Austenland (liked it) Goose Girl (loved it) Enna Burning (loved it) River Secrets (loved it).

I also read Jessica Day George's Book of a Thousand Days (very fun) and her other books Dragon Slippers & Dragon Flight (both great).

I'm reading Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst for my book group right now. The sequal, Out of the Wild comes out this week. Neither has anything to do with the movie of the same title that is recently released.

I'm trying to find a good book to tide me over during our family trip next week to Puerto Rico. THink I'll page through your books and find one. Thanks! ♥

Blue said...

PS: i should note that I'm reading Into the Wild outloud to my kids every day. They're loving it (ages 8 and 11)

Company EIGHT said...

I'm glad I read The Goose Girl before Austenland--if not, I maybe never have attempted it. I also really enjoyed the Princess Academy--

Tamlynn said...

I greatly preferred The Princess Academy to Goose Girl. Give it a try.