Sunday, May 25, 2008

b.u.r.n.o.u.t.

Right after I came back from Nashville last month, I spent some time thinking about my running over the next year. I knew a lot of people talked about getting burned out from running too many marathons back to back, but I was just so giddy after the Country Music Marathon, that I envisioned myself doing marathon after marathon until something gave out on me.

Over the last month, I've been training for the Wasatch Back (which is less than four weeks away-- yay!), signed up to do a race on July 24th with my sister-in-law, Alison, got picked in the lottery to run the St. George Marathon at the beginning of October, got asked to run in another Ragnar Relay here in Texas in the end of October, tentatively planned on a repeat performance (hopefully minus the viral illness) at the Texas Marathon on New Year's Day, and that's all before the big Kahuna-- Boston, next April.

Yesterday, when I woke up to do my 18-mile run, I could hardly pull myself from my bed. It was dark, and I was tired, and the bed seemed so inviting. It's been so hot all week. Yesterday, at 5:45am, it was 80 degrees, and probably about 80% humidity (it kept threatening to rain, but nothing ever came). Somehow, over the last six months, I forgot how brutal running in Texas in the summer can be. I know I've said this before, but it's just like running in the bathroom after someone took a water heater-draining shower. And the treadmill in my bedroom, with its huge east-facing windows, isn't any better for my morning runs. In just a week, Bryce and Annie will get out of school, and I'll have four to contend with instead of two when I lock them out of the room and try to sneak in a quickie (run, that is).

Anyway, yesterday morning I did nine miles before I decided that I just couldn't hack it. Did you hear that? I couldn't hack it. I went to the gym and finished up with a spinning class instead, and even there, in the air-conditioned relative coolness, everyone complained about how muggy and sweaty it was. For the rest of the day, I felt terrible: tired, irritable, kind of sick.

This is what running in the summer does to me. And now, because I've loaded my schedule up with races from now until next year, I can't take break. Every single Saturday, I'll be up before dawn, hitting the concrete. Ugh. And even though I love running, I kind of hate it too right now. I know there were lots of people (my friends Elisabeth and Melodee included) who wanted to get into St. George and couldn't, so I feel like I have to slog through the endless sweaty summer and not bail on this race. I'm just not very happy about it right now.

Can somebody give me a pep talk?

6 comments:

Deannna - Younique Presenter said...

you've been doing a lot of 18 milers lately girl. And you didn't even get any rest after your first marathon because you were planning on the next, then no rest this time around. take two weeks of cross training and light running (under 10 miles) you'll still be in fabulous shape for the wasatch back. maybe even better with the rest you body needs. You've already qualified for Boston - take it EASY!! (atleast until it becomes fun again)

Lei said...

Although I am not a seasoned runner, I'll ditto D. Seems like a little break would do you some good. Hang in there!

Blue said...

you're feeling bad about only running 9 miles, and i think the most i've ever run at one time is like 4. in my LIFE! so while i know it won't help you be prepared for your future races...it seems like if the joy's not in it for you, then pull back till you find it again. it's supposed to be fun. you've already proven you can do it. now only do it for the fun of it, and not because of duty or obligation. and don't feel bad about not wanting to run in the sauna. just do what you can. it's hard with four kids and the weather working against you! ♥

Anonymous said...

As you well know I am not a seasoned racer of anything. But I've been reading a lot so that I can run better. And I agree wholeaheartedly with amerimeximadre (whew that's a long handle ;-). Give yourself a break. Counsel from my reading: Take a week off and crosstrain (easy, that is), then easy runs for a awhile. Let your body and your mind off the competitive hook for a bit.
Good luck. And thanks for sharing. Your humanity in running makes me think that maybe I can race someday.

Anonymous said...

PS I think you know all this as you are a seasoned and successful racer. But we can all use a reminder once in awhile ;-)

TJ said...

one positive thing about st george is that the heat will be dry!!! no humidity to deal with! but still hot. i don't know how you run in texas. when we lived in san antonio, the humidity was crazy. my husband would run outside, but the only thing i did outside was sit at the park while the kids played. and someday, i hope to run like you. i'm even worse than blue!!