Thursday, May 29, 2008

Book #39: Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster


Title: Runner's World; Run Less, Run Faster: Become a faster, stronger runner with the revolutionary FIRST training Program
Authors: Bill Pierce, Scott Murr and Ray Moss

The book behind the FIRST program, which transformed me from a 3:55 marathoner to a 3:27 marathoner.

I needed something to get me out of my running slump, and this book did the trick. I'm now excited about getting back to running after my self-imposed one-week break. I'm going to do a 5K speed run and see how fast I am, so I can plug all of the numbers in the the formulas and set a new goal for my new marathon this fall. I loved the FIRST program when I used it over the winter, and the book is an excellent companion to all of the (free) info available on the internet.

4 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

This is going to come out wrong (and I know you'll forgive me, since I'm due in ten days), but I love when you talk about running. It's what makes you "geek out" and I love geekiness.

Blue said...

one thing i've learned through the years about me is that i have no sense of distance.

i went for a run tonight...and made sure i remembered exactly where I ran so i could plot it out on google earth and see how far it was.

as i went along, i was thinking "yah! i'm really doing great! this is probably at least 5 miles...maybe six. I'm probably in much better shape than i give myself credit for.

then i came home and plotted it out. in my 43 minutes of running, i went an amazing 2.74 miles. yup.

oh well, it's a start. i probably shouldn't have eaten that scrumdiddilyumptious platter of thai curry right before i went. and maybe drinking something before hand would be a good idea. and the route i ran actually went uphill the whole outbound, and then downhill all the way home, which was kind of tough on the knees. so maybe level surfaces to start would be good.

anyway, feel free to offer up any beginner runner tips and suggestions you may know. perhaps a post about it. since you're an incredible success story. at least kermit and i would enjoy it! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, should I buy the book or just read the online info? I am doing my 20th marathon this fall but I've been injured and need to run less.

Blue sent me to you. :)

Jim @ CoolStuffForDads.com said...

When I was trying to improve my times I set an established route and then tracked my times (i.e. wrote them down). I would then try and do better each time I went out. I am a definite novice but this seemed to help.