Monday, May 26, 2008

Book #37: The Host


Title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer

When Wanderer, an alien life form whose species invades Earth and takes over humanity to serve as hosts for their souls, enters the body of Melanie, she's surprised when Melanie continues to keep up residence.

I really wanted to like The Host. And actually, I found it really thought-provoking and interesting. But it was long. Way, way, way too long. A good 300 pages too long, I think. And for a book without much action and just a lot of being holed up in a cave, that's way too long. Anyone think Meyer might be getting paid on a per-word basis like Charles Dickens? If the book had been 300 pages instead of 600, I think I would have loved it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelah,

Haven't been able to pick up this book. I liked all her twilight books, but I don't think I could get into this one. I do appreciate your recommendations, you give me ideas on what to read. That said, I have a few book recommendations for you if you haven't read them yet:
1. The Ten Year Nap, by Meg Wolitzer
2. The Third Angel, by Alice Hoffman
3. Garden Spells, by Sarah Addison Allen.

I actually liked number 3 the best, but number 1 is the most thought provoking. I'll let you look them up on Amazon to see what they are about.

Jamie
(The frequent reader and occasional anonymous poster who feels like we are friends all though you do not know me at all. So strange.)

Lee said...

I am in the middle of this one. I want to like it. Really I do. But so far it is taking me forever. I love all of your book reviews Shelah.

Shelah said...

Jamie--

I haven't read any of those books-- I need to check them out!

smart mama said...

i have been trying to decide whether to read it- I even thought the twilight ones could get a bit long and draggy.

JD said...

totally agree with you on the length issue. i was bored.