Monday, December 17, 2007

Marathon update

The marathon is two weeks from tomorrow. I guess I should be feeling all pumped up and excited. I should be glad that I don't have to run like a crazy woman over Christmas break because it's time to taper I should be picking out cute clothes to wear for the race and pumping my brain full of positive thoughts.

I'm feeling stressed and nervous. I haven't run much in the last week, mostly because it's been nearly impossible to find the time with Isaac. I used to turn the tv on in the playroom, close my bedroom door, and let the kids fend for themselves while I did a quick 4 miler on the treadmill (it takes me almost exactly as much time as a show on Noggin). But I don't dare do that now that Isaac has become Body Cast Man. He doesn't fit in the jogging stroller either (believe me, I tried). It's really just the next five days I have to mentally survive without a good running solution. Although Utah is out for Christmas (you can't fit a cast like that in the cheap seats of an airplane), my family is coming to "help" over the holidays, and in my book the greatest help anyone can give me right now is 30 minutes to myself to take a quick run.

I also have two issues with my booty that I'm afraid might affect my marathon performance. I'm sure that you'll be excited to know that the rest of this post will be devoted to my bottom. If you don't feel like reading, don't. Yes, I am turning into an old lady. The first problem is a literal pain in the butt. It started out about six weeks ago, shortly after my first 20 mile run (when Isaac was home from the hospital the first time but not yet mobile). We're not sure if it was caused by the running or all of the heavy lifting I've been doing, but Eddie and I think it's ischial tuberosity, and if that's the case, then from what I've read, not much can be done about it. Rest doesn't help too much, stretching doesn't help much, medications don't help much.

The other problem is that I haven't quite figured out the right formula of protein bars, drinks and gels to keep me from needing to find a portapotty on the marathon route. I'm usually good for the first eight miles or so, and then my colon decides to relax. On my last 20 miler, I spent a good five minutes in a construction portapotty, and I don't have that kind of time to waste if I'm running injured and still want to come in under 3:40.

So you can talk to me in fifteen days about the marathon, but right now, I'd just as likely bite off your head if you were to politely inquire about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelah,
You'll do great in your marathon. I ran the St. George marathon in October and leading up to it, my longest run was only 17 miles due to schedule and sickness issues. And during the taper time--well lets just say it was a huge taper. But it turned out great. You are ready--enjoy it!

Melissa said...

Good luck with your race! You are totally my hero!

g said...

I won't inquire, but is it okay to wish you well? :) I know you'll do great!

BAK said...

Shelah, good luck. I hope you enjoy your race.

NOBODY said...

Hey Shelah,
I have some questions about Isaac's leg, would you be willing to email me at Angelared @ gmail dot com?
Thanks