Sunday, November 4, 2007

A whole new normal


After eleven nights, two surgeries, five tanks of gas, one walker, six kids meals from Chick Fil-A, three bees and a mosquito from McDonalds, twentysomething trips to see the trains, a whole parade of doctors and nurses, and about ten viewings of the Lion King, we're finally home. Isaac is doing pretty well. He's still not using his leg much and doesn't have the greatest appetite in the world, but he's much, much better than he was. I don't think I even realized just how sick he really was until he got better and I had something to compare it with.

Starting today, I'll be nursing Maren five times a day (I might have weaned her if I had known that we'd be in the hospital so long, which required a LOT of transporting her back and forth-- she now cries whenever she comes near her carseat), and giving Isaac IV antibiotics three times a day. Of course, Maren's feedings and Isaac's infusions (?) don't match up time-wise, so it will be a lot like having a newborn around here for a while. Or else twins-- both on the verge of walking (I'm pretty sure he'll be toddling along after Maren rather than the other way around). I've traded in my former schedule of going to the gym, schlepping Isaac to swimming, and dropping him off at preschool (you know, the mom who is in the car all day long) for driving to doctor's appointments and making sure he gets his medicine. The next week will tell us a lot about how grueling this schedule may be in comparison with the old normal, but I think we'll be able to handle it. We got through the first eleven days-- how hard can the next two months be?

9 comments:

Courtney said...

That is a great picture! I'm glad he is home.

Emily said...

What a cutie. I'm glad he's doing better. Good luck with your new normal!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

SO glad he's home!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I'm glad to hear you are home. I think you know you are strong enough to do this...you just have to hunker down and do it. It's just like running a marathon, just a different kind.

God bless you and take care.

sheri said...

Yay! Isaac's home! I know you can do this. You're wonder mom!
So is he in a wheelchair all the time now? How are you doing that out and about (what little you will be doing of that for a while) with Isaac and Maren?

g said...

You can do it! I'm totally impressed by your positive attitude. Best of luck! And Isaac looks so cute:)

utmommy said...

Holy cow! I just read your story and my heart goes out to you. I hope he has a quick recovery and that you guys can get your life back. I know all about medical problems and it's not fun.

You have a great attitude which is so important.

Becky said...

Just checked in on you via Courtney's blog. So glad Isaac is doing better! What a scare you had there. That MRSA is running rampant. We had it at our school last week.

Of course you can do this Shelah! You were made for big challenges!! We're thinking about you and hope things are returning to "normal"

Rachau said...

I am so glad he's home. Good luck with your new normal.Things will start to look up for you now.