Monday, September 24, 2007

Book #53: Me and Emma



Title: Me and Emma
Author: Elizabeth Flock
I feel sort of emotionally wrung-out after reading Me and Emma. It's the story of two sisters whose father is murdered, whose mother falls apart, and in her depression (or whatever it is she fell into, or already was to begin with), marries a mean, abusive drunk. The whole time I was reading the novel, I just kept thinking, "why isn't anyone stepping in and helping these girls?" I mean, after their dad died, wouldn't friends keep an eye out for them? What about their friends? What about the girls' teachers? It seems like a lot of people had Caroline and Emma sort of on the periphery of their viewpoints, but they never really saw the direness of their situation. For me, it made me think a lot about the Church, and about my current calling as a Visiting Teaching Coordinator. I know we don't have the Visiting Teaching program to "tattle" on each other, but it seems like Caroline and Emma wouldn't have been quite so neglected with a nice sister from the church showing up once a month. (I know, fantasy world, but it is fiction, after all, right?)
It also seemed like there were a lot of things in Me and Emma that didn't quite add up, like the timeline of events. But I guess that when the narrator is a child like Caroline, that's to be expected. There's a surprise at the end, and if you can suspend disbelief until you get to that point, a lot of things that confused or annoyed you as you read will make sense. I promise. If you can stomach what happens to Caroline and Emma before you get there.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I read this one last summer and really enjoyed it. I read it in a string of like books though and by then end I was feeling like a pretty good parent overall. Maybe that's why I like that sort of book?

Lucy said...

I read this without having a clue about the book. I think that's why it has stuck with me all these years. I was so broken hearted by the end. I sometimes need to be pulled out of my bubble to realize how harsh life can be for some.

Leah Spring said...

One of my favorite books! When I bought this book I was just browsing at B & N, and picked it up to read on the beach while on vacation. I always enjoy books told by from a child's perspective. The twist at the end threw me for a loop...two weeks before I bought the book my 16 year old son was diagnosed.