Sunday, August 5, 2007

Spotty sports knowledge

It's Father's Day, so we're doing the traditional Father's Day thing in our house-- watching the final round of the US Open. And, as often happens when we watch sports, my spotty sports knowledge became very evident.



For example, I know some interesting and random facts about Tiger Woods, including that he always wears red on Sunday, that he married Jesper Parnevik's former nanny (you know, Yes-purr, who wears his baseball cap with the bill tilted up), and that he hasn't recently won a tournament when he was more than one stroke back going into the final day. I know I'd rather look at Tiger's cut physique than at Phil's man boobs. But ask me about the mechanics of golf and I'm totally clueless. I couldn't tell the difference between a wood and an iron to save my life.



Similarly, my explanation of how football works (to my mother, who has absolutely no interest in sports) is "the little guys run around while the big guys fight each other"



--originally published 6/17/07

No comments: