Saturday, August 18, 2007

Book #42: Restless



Title: Restless
Author: William Boyd

When I was hurting for book ideas a few weeks ago, I headed over to amazon.com for some recommendations. Editors from all over were recommending Restless, so I reserved it. According to the book jacket, William Boyd has written several screenplays, and I think the book would work much better as a screenplay. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but I think the WWII story of a butt-kicking female spy and her daughter, discovering her own butt-kicking nature in the 1970s, would make a fantastic movie. It was also billed as a love story, but I could see right through the romance and into the deception right away. The book suffers, in my opinion, from the Blair Witch Project syndrome-- a good enough book on its own, but it doesn't hold up to overhype.

No comments: