Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Book #40: Behind the Scenes at the Museum




Title: Behind the Scenes at the Museum
Author: Kate Atkinson

Every so often, I come across a book that I'm really surprised I haven't read before. Surely, at some point over the last twelve years, someone must have told me to read this book. But if they did, I don't remember it at all. It's the story of Ruby Lennox and her female family members up to four generations back. I must admit that Ruby's mom bears an occasional passing resemblance to mine (although mine is nicer, I must admit). I loved the meandering storyline, loved the footnotes, loved the significant references to airing cupboards. It was a really fun read. And now that I'm done, I'm really interested in seeing how autobiographical (if at all) the novel is. I have more Kate Atkinson on my reading list after this one!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I didn't like this one so much, I found myself often bored, and sad for the main character. It was alright, but in the end I was dissapointed with the ending.